Sunday, September 29, 2013

Falling into Autumn


The dictionary defines transition as “movement, passage or change from one position, state, stage, subject, or concept to another”.
Not only does the end of September mark the end of one season and the start of a new one, it also marks six months that I have been living, working, growing, and being here. I have seen some amazing new places and missed some familiar ones, I have developed new behaviors while shedding some old, and I have met new and inspiring people while missing the one’s near to my heart.

Fall is the perfect time to talk about transitions.  Known for it's seasonal changes, fall is a great opportunity to reflect on the changes that are taking place in my life as well.  I have been running at full speed this month, and it feels as though I have tumbled into this new season, gasping for fresh air and a slower pace. Through the stress, homesickness and discomfort that causes life to be thrown off balance, I am forced to realize that I am in a constant state of change toward growth individually, spiritually and professionally.

No sooner did I fall asleep to a warm, balmy evening did I wake up to a chilly fall morning, seeing my breath as I yawned my way to the kitchen for a warm cup of coffee to place between my hands. 
The Bay trees have begun to shed their leaves in masses, littering our gravel road and gathering at each side where cars have blown them to safety. The air is crisp and sweet, unlike its unbearable thickness that blankets the valley during the summer. The sun begins to fade behind the mountain much earlier, warning me that my days will soon be much shorter.

To keep this brief, I'm transitioning to some quick and exciting September updates-->

I was fortunate enough to see my parents earlier this month, as mom celebrated her 50th birthday by coming out to Napa for a weekend of wine tasting and Northern California sight seeing.  It was a beautiful weekend of clear skies, great food and too much wine.  

My mother, beautiful on the inside and out



Farm Update: Tons of tomatoes! Heirlooms and sungolds are ripening at an abnormal speed and we now have close to ten bags of puree waiting in the freezer for cold winter nights- bring on the soup! We've had so many amazing vegetables available to cook with and I've had some of the best dinners these past few weeks...eggplants, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, beets, green beans, corn, watermelon, apples...the list goes on! 
Also, adorable baby pigs have arrived! (There are 7, so naturally we named them after the Weasley's...You're welcome Potter fans.) 

This past month has been a whirlwind, and I now have some time to truly reflect on all that I have been experiencing. Life's recent pick up in responsibilities, commitments and opportunities have been more than I imagined I could handle but I am hoping that fall will bring in a fresh perspective and continued positive change that I can learn and grow from.  When life becomes this unmanageable, we have to be willing to walk alongside one another and I am so thankful I have had the support of my friends here to provide me with the comfort that I need when I am so far from my friends back home and the support and love from my family whom I share every moment of this experience with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment