I am sitting in a quiet café, settling myself at a corner table with much needed caffeine. I am preparing to reflect on a subject that has been both delicate yet pressing in my life as I continue to develop into a mature human being. While the subject of faith is and should be personal, I am compelled to share my thoughts and experiences as I feel it has been more present in my life journey than it ever has before.
As I continue down my path to discover who I am and what my soul's purpose is, I have taken a step further from my comfort zone and explored a church service for young adults who can come to learn and worship in a comfortable and welcoming space. I have not always considered myself spiritual and often questioned the idea of organized religion. From high school through college, I had plenty of doubts regarding the Christian faith that led to me have a pretty negative attitude toward anything that had to do with it. Because I felt so strongly about science and the biological evidence that supported our coming to be on this planet, there were many things about Jesus and the Bible that I did not understand. Often times, I wondered if I even wanted to. The one thing I knew I did not want to do was force myself to believe in something that I did not feel and I’ve come to learn that faith is about feeling, no matter what or who you believe in.
I’ve only gone to two services so far, but I’ve connected deeply with each of the messages and I am excited to open my mind and my heart further to fully listen to those messages set before me. This past Sunday was the last of their “Wasted” Series, and the pastor spoke about stepping out of the confined box that religion often puts us in and taking risks in order to transform your relationship with Jesus (or whomever you put your faith into). He explained that Jesus took risks, and in fact rebelled against organized religion. Where religion set boundaries and rules, he set out to break them. Where religion defined social norms and standards, he encouraged the acceptance of all people. And where religion acted as home base, he encouraged adventure in order to look outside oneself to transform and grow.
He related the idea of religion and our potential relationship with Jesus to a dock that sat on a bank of a rushing river. You can stay on the dock-dry, comfortable and safe while the current pulls the water beneath you. But what if you decide to jump into the river? What if you were to put all of your faith into the current flowing around you to carry you to a place beyond what you can see?
The reason, I guess, that I have connected so deeply with this particular message is the fact that the past few months of my life have been full of risks and adventure that are allowing me to transform and grow in ways that I could have never seen. Whether or not this leads me to establish a relationship with a higher power, I am beginning to feel a certain tug the more I allow myself to put my faith into something greater.
As I continue down my path to discover who I am and what my soul's purpose is, I have taken a step further from my comfort zone and explored a church service for young adults who can come to learn and worship in a comfortable and welcoming space. I have not always considered myself spiritual and often questioned the idea of organized religion. From high school through college, I had plenty of doubts regarding the Christian faith that led to me have a pretty negative attitude toward anything that had to do with it. Because I felt so strongly about science and the biological evidence that supported our coming to be on this planet, there were many things about Jesus and the Bible that I did not understand. Often times, I wondered if I even wanted to. The one thing I knew I did not want to do was force myself to believe in something that I did not feel and I’ve come to learn that faith is about feeling, no matter what or who you believe in.
I’ve only gone to two services so far, but I’ve connected deeply with each of the messages and I am excited to open my mind and my heart further to fully listen to those messages set before me. This past Sunday was the last of their “Wasted” Series, and the pastor spoke about stepping out of the confined box that religion often puts us in and taking risks in order to transform your relationship with Jesus (or whomever you put your faith into). He explained that Jesus took risks, and in fact rebelled against organized religion. Where religion set boundaries and rules, he set out to break them. Where religion defined social norms and standards, he encouraged the acceptance of all people. And where religion acted as home base, he encouraged adventure in order to look outside oneself to transform and grow.
He related the idea of religion and our potential relationship with Jesus to a dock that sat on a bank of a rushing river. You can stay on the dock-dry, comfortable and safe while the current pulls the water beneath you. But what if you decide to jump into the river? What if you were to put all of your faith into the current flowing around you to carry you to a place beyond what you can see?
The reason, I guess, that I have connected so deeply with this particular message is the fact that the past few months of my life have been full of risks and adventure that are allowing me to transform and grow in ways that I could have never seen. Whether or not this leads me to establish a relationship with a higher power, I am beginning to feel a certain tug the more I allow myself to put my faith into something greater.
“You must lose your religion in order to find faith.”
P.S these are just some of the many thoughts I have on the subject
and I haven't gathered a cohesive reasoning behind them so bear with me!
I'm taking my time to learn, explore and ask questions.
you did great. keep writing. :)
ReplyDeletelove this Kristen. honest questions and an open heart and mind are a beautiful combination. so very proud of you.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Tracy! An Altar in the World has been such an inspiration for me and I'm still so thankful for that! And thanks for always reading :)
Delete