"We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
Sunday, June 9, 2013
Breakfast in Bed
As I woke up this morning, I was preparing to drag myself out of bed and go on a much needed run I had been planning all weekend. My week had been so busy that I couldn't find the time nor the energy to run like I normally did and I was ready to take on the road. Except my bed was so comfortable...and the breeze coming in through my window was so relaxing. Maybe I should just make a giant cup of coffee with breakfast and settle back in to read for a little bit? Yeah..that sounds way better than forcing my self to run when my body was still too tired. Sometimes I get too concerned with staying healthy by exercising, I forget that taking time to allow my body to relax is just as necessary. With all my roommates gone for morning training, I had the kitchen to myself and impatiently waited for our cow-painted coffee pot (yes, we have a coffee pot painted as a cow) to moo, letting me know that the water was ready, after which I had to wait even longer for the coffee to slowly drip from the filter into my cup. There really is nothing better than a hot cup of fresh-filtered coffee with french vanilla cream...really. I balanced my cup and my bowl of yogurt, hurrying back into my room to slide under my warm covers. I haven't had breakfast in bed in a very long time and I smiled to myself as I took small sips of my coffee and pulled out my book. This is what every Sunday should be like. For everyone. And I'm not saying everyone should brew their own cup of coffee and read in bed, but I think everyone should take some time to do what they really enjoy doing instead of forcing themselves to do something they think they need to be doing. I found so much joy in taking the first hour of my day to relax and enjoy my breakfast, and not think about how badly I need to run off the wine and ice cream I ate the night before. Since I have moved here, my weekends have been all about playing catch up- running to the store to get things that I needed throughout the week, getting groceries for the upcoming week..or even trying to keep up with my non-work life. And for those who know me know that I am incredibly OCD about time and I can't seem to do anything without thinking, "okay, whats next?". My days are planned down to the minute most of the time and I make lists, to-do's and reminders to keep me on schedule.
But today, it is safe to say that I actually spent my day soaking up my time to sit back and relax, instead of chasing it.

As if having breakfast in bed wasn't good enough, I had lunch at a local cafe in town complete with an ice-cold Arnold Palmer in a mason jar and a salad of arugula, kale, quinoa and pancetta.
"We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
"We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment